Here is a little first hand explanation of night terrors for those of you who are not familiar with them.
What Night Terrors are:
1. Screaming and thrashing around that wakes me up out of a dead sleep, and in the confusion and sleepy haze I run to CC (my son) afraid there is an intruder in the house.
2. CC is never actually awake.
3. Calming him not affective.
4. Holding on to CC legs so he doesn’t kick the wall with all of his might and hurt himself.
5. Recurrent: this is what makes them so heartbreaking we knew that on average CC would have these terrors twice a week.
What Night Terrors are not:
1. Waking up a little scared and climbing into bed with your parents.
2. Remembering a nightmare the morning after (CC never has any recollection of these terrors).
My husband and I were mean to each other. Two months of complete helplessness over our son’s night terrors took a toll on us. Take it from me exhaustion and helplessness does little to make a marriage flourish. Needless to say we were in a fragile place and just finished another argument about the toilet paper choice I made that month (seriously?! It was on sale, I made the executive decision!), when I finally got online to try and find ANYTHING that could possibly help.
That is when I found the Lully. I contacted the company, explained CC’s sleep issues and was given a response very quickly. Although I was slightly skeptical, I was ready to take a gamble and ordered the Lully. I listened to my husband complain that it wasn’t going to work but I didn’t care.
The Lully came a couple days later and I was ready! I ripped open that package like it was the Nintendo ® I was waiting for Christmas morning 24 years ago. The whole system was so easy. I downloaded the Lully app on my iPhone and followed the system prompts. The questions where simple and went over Cole’s sleep routine.
I was a bit worried that CC would find the Lully and think it was a toy, run around with it etc., however it rests in-between the box spring and mattress and he never knew it was there (Note: when we started the Lully CC had a toddler bed and I was still able to place it on top of a towel on one of the slats in-between his mattress and the frame. The towel helped so the bed didn’t vibrate too loudly on his hardwood floor).
I am so happy to report that our family has gone from two night terrors a week to one a month. This is huge for our family, our relationship and our parenting self esteem. We are back to sleeping through the night, liking each other, and working on our secret handshake. It is one of the best feelings in the world. Lully is the only thing to thank for this amazing freedom we feel now. We would recommend this product to anyone who is suffering from night terrors!